UNISONScotland www
This is our archive website that is no longer being updated.
For the new website please go to
Click here
Home News About us Join Us Contacts Help Resources Learning Links UNISON UK
  Retired Members Information & Resources 

Staying Active in UNISON

Back to Retired Members Index

Back to Information & Resources Index

Useful Links



Provided by Mae Stewart, Editor UNISON Retired members Newsletter, Dundee, Perth and Angus.
Please note that this is not definitive information about benefits but will provide a signpost as to where to get up to date information. Please check the sources first. UNISON Scotland can take no responsibility for information that may be outdated or inaccurate.

Issue 24 March 2009

top | Information & Resources Index

Know Your Rights Insulation Grant

If you claim disability or income-related benefit, you may qualify for a Warm Front Grant of up to £2,700 [or up to £4,000 in some cases] to help pay for heating and insulation improvements to your home.

For further information contact:

Telephone: 0800 316 2850

Website: www.warmfront.co.uk

top | Information & Resources Index

£60 Government Allowance

For those of you who have not yet received the £60 extra grant from the Government that has been getting paid out since the end of last year.

Enquiry to the Department of Works and Pensions informed me that this money has been, and will be, paid out over a period which will complete at the end of March 2009.

For any pensioner who is due this payment, and who has not received same by that time, then I would advise that you contact the DWP.

top | Information & Resources Index

Minor Ailment Service

For those of you who may not know yet there is a booklet published by the Scottish Executive called ‘The NHS Minor Ailment Service at Your Community Pharmacy’.

This booklet is for everyone who does NOT pay for their prescriptions. This includes children.

You can claim this service provided you are registered with a GP in Scotland, and are NOT resident in a nursing home.

Basically it allows the pharmacist to prescribe medicines such as cough bottles; headache treatments; earache, etc. And you are provided with the appropriate medicine without payment.

On a personal note may I say here that I would never, ever, see this as a substitute for a visit to my doctor if I felt unwell and was unsure of what it was, but I do think it’s a handy service to be aware of.

You can obtain the booklet containing all the information from your chemist, or by telephoning the NHS on: 0131 244 2631.

Website: www.scotland.gov.uk

Mae Stewart


top | Information & Resources Index

top | Information & Resources Index

top | Information & Resources Index

top | Information & Resources Index

top | Information & Resources Index

top | Information & Resources Index