Scottish Black Members Committee
Report to the Scottish Committee
The Scottish Black Members Committee continues
to implement two main objectives.
- To raise a positive profile of the Committee
- To increase involvement of Black members,
within Scottish UNISON
1. National Black Member's Conference
- The 2008 National Black Members' Conference
is to be held on 11-13 January 2008 at the Crowne
Plaza Hotel, Glasgow National. SBMC is grateful
to the Scottish Region for warmly responding
to our call for support and practical help in
organising civic reception and the social event,
at the conference.
- SBMC once again asks the Scottish branches
for their support, by encouraging their black
delegates to attend the conference.
- The last Black Members Conference took place
in Liverpool from 19 to 21 January 2007.
- SBMC is all praise for UNISON Scotland and
its branches for their commitment to the effective
participation of black members at National and
- At the conference, Scottish delegates will
be moving four motions. As agreed in it committee
meeting, the SBMC will be moving two motions.
And one motion each will be moved by the delegates
from Fife LG and Perth and Kinross.
Black Members Training Weekend
- UNISON Black Members Training Weekend have
been organised following consultations with
black members regarding their training needs.
- The Scottish Learning & Organising Committee
is fully commitment to support SBMC training
- The training weekend took place as planned
in Edinburgh, on 21, 22, 23 September 2007.
As 62% among of those who attended the training
were new black members, it would be fair to
say that the weekend marked another year of
- The SBMC thank Scottish branches for their
on going support. In particular, Lothian Health,
City of Edinburgh Branch and Fife LG branch
for sending new black members to the SBMC training
STUC BM Conference 2007
- The 11th STUC Black Workers conference
took place in Perth on 20/21 October 2007. UNISON
delegate comprised 14 strong members, led by
Sofi Taylor NEC).
- At the conference all UNISON candidates were
elected unopposed. Among the delegates Tamara
Mhura and David Olwa were elected to STUC BW
Committee, and Ismail Donmez was elected to
attend STUC Conference 2008.
- There were 47 delegates and one observer who
attended the conference. In all 17 motions were
moved (including composites). UNISON delegates
actively debated the motions. Among the UNISON
delegates Patricia Agu, Jerome Rueda and Zia
Hussain were first time speakers.
Anti BNP activities:
- Produced 6 page special Anti- BNP NEWSLETTER,
to reinforce the message:
"not to cast vote for BNP" in
May 2007 elections.
Active Anti-BNP campaigning,
distribution of leaflets, by hand and electronically
among black members.
Ravi, Bernard and Hamid manned
the Unison Stall at "Allah Made Me Funny", an
anti racism event which took place in Glasgow.
Development of Black Self-Organising
Groups in Scottish Branches:
- This year SBMC set up a target for itself
to form at least one SOG in a Scottish Branch.
SBMC has achieved this target.
- A black self organising group at NHS Lothian
Health Branch has been shaped up.
- It is the first SOG of its kind in NHS Scottish
- This SOG had its first meeting on 30 June
2007 and turn out was very good.
- The chair SBMC congratulates the NHS Lothian
branch for its exceptional on- going support
and praised the efforts of the branch's black
equality officers (David Okalo Olwa and Lui
Giacomello), for their hard work in creation
of the SOG.
- Marie Macrae (Equality Officer Fife LG branch)
worked hard in setting up a black member's self-organisation
group in her branch. She is actively supported
by Ismail Donmez, Secretary SBMC. Also Sofi
Taylor equally deserves praise in taking an
active role, to shape a black SOG at Glasgow
Nation LG and Water Conference
- The National Black Members Committee elected
Ismail Donmez and Ravi Nathan as their delegates
to the National LG conference and National Water
Conference respectively. Both elected delegates
are active members of Scottish Black Members
- Ravi spoke in support of the motion on Equalities
at the National Water Conference and Ismail,
despite being a first time speaker, spoke well
in support of the NBMC motion on Equalities,
at the National Local Government Conference.
Scotland United Against Terror
has organised a rally in Glasgow on Saturday
- SBMC members took part in the "Scottish
United against Terror" rally in Glasgow
on Saturday 7 July 2007. This was to show that
SBMC totally and utterly denounces terrorism
anywhere and in all forms.
St Andrew's Day March
- SBMC's presence at the St Andrews Day March
2006 received good media coverage. SBMC aims
to build on its success, by strongly participating
in St Andrew's Day March 2007.
SBMC AGM 2007:
- Scottish Black Members AGM is scheduled to
take place on 17 November 2007 at Board Room,
Royal Victoria Hospital Edinburgh.
- The AGM papers have reached Scottish Branches
and these papers can also be downloaded from
our UNISON Scotland website. SBMC once again
seek support from Scottish Branches, and would
be grateful if they could send as many delegates
as possible, to send their black members to
attend the AGM.
To ensure accountability; SBMC aims
to present regular reports on its activities to
the future NBMC, Scottish Committee and Scottish
Secretary Scottish Black Members Committee
24 October 2007