Scottish Black Members Committee
Report to the Scottish Committee—20th
Since the last report to the Scottish
Council, the Scottish Black members Committee continues
to implement two main objectives.
- To raise a positive profile of the Committee
- To increase involvement of Black members,
within Scottish UNISON
1. SBMC Policy Weekend
SBMC Policy weekend took place
on 23-25 February 2007 at Apex Hotel in Dundee.
After a fruitful discussion,
SBMC amended and agreed a draft action plan,
and created sub committee to enable SBMC achieve
its four priority objectives.
Mr Pav Akhtar UNISON National
Equalities Officer and Sofi Taylor NEC very
kindly facilitated the event.
Also at the weekend one session
each was created for networking and training
on mainstreaming of Equality and Challenging
racism in the work place.
The success of the weekend can
be measured by indicators as follows:
- Every delegate freely contributed to the
- SBMC's action plan was amended and agreed
- Tutorial inputs matched new and old black
- Networking session proved a hit; delegates
enjoyed DVD coverage of National Black Members
Conference 2007, and a pictorial presentation
of Scottish Contributions to the National
Delegates Conference 2006.
Black Members Training Weekend
- UNISON Black Members Training Weekend will
be organised after consultations with black
members regarding their training needs.
- The Scottish Learning & Organising Committee
in it recent meeting expressed its commitment
to support organise SBMC training weekend, which
is likely to take place in September 2007.
- The SBMC seeks support from Scottish branches,
to send more and more new black members to attend
SBMC training event.
TUC BM Conference 2007 and
- The SBMC adopted the existing procedure to
send elected black members to represent our
self organising group on TUC Black Members Conference
2007 and STUC 2007.
- The SBMC agreed to nominate Hamid Rasheed
(to attend TUC Black Members Conference 2007)
and Ravi Nathan (to represent SBMC at STUC 2007).
St Andrew's Day March
- SBMC's presence the St Andrews Day March 2006
received good media. SBMC aims to build on its
success, by strongly participating in St Andrew's
Day March 2007.
National Black Member's Conference
- National Black members Conference took place
in Liverpool from 19 to 21 January 2007.
- UNISON Scotland branches supported our call,
by sending 6 delegates and 2 visitors from various
branches to the conference.
- SBMC is all praise for UNISON Scotland / its
branches for their commitment to the effective
participation of black members at National level
and Regional level.
- At the conference, SBMC moved two motions
which were unanimously carried.
- I thank UNISON Scotland and the branches for
their on going support for Scottish Black Members
To ensure accountability; SBMC aims
to keep Scottish Committee and the Scottish Council
fully informed. SBMC aims to present regular report
on its activities to the future Scottish Committee
and Scottish Council meetings.
Secretary Scottish Black Members